View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #72
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Re: What did you do with your truck today, take 2

About 2 years ago I installed a ZZ4 motor along with a rebuilt 700R4 trans from Phoenix Transmission.

I never really liked how it would lock up the torque converter at the same time it shifted into 4th gear. This would cause a 1000 RPM drop, and if you weren't in the motor pretty hard, it was too much of a drop.

So, I was at the Good Guys show in Charlotte and talked with Mark from Bowler Performance Transmissions about this issue. He explained that most people who rebuild the 700R4 set them up to do what mine was doing. But Bowler has developed a kit to address this!

I must say that Mark was great to deal with. He answered every question I had in terms that made sense to me and was very knowledgeable!

Well, I was sold and bought his "Lock-up Control Module"

It was very easy to install after dropping the pan. It did require me to redo the wiring for the lockup, using a relay that allows it to "un-Lock" when I press the brake pedal.

After finishing the install and topping of the fluid I was ready for a test drive. Let me say it works great! Now when the trans shifts into 4th, there's about a 700 RPM drop, and after 8-10 seconds the converter "locks-up" and drops about 300 RPM. It actually feels like a 5 speed trans! And even better, when I press the brake, the converter "un-locks" and its easier on the motor to accelerate again.

I have to say that I'm extremely pleased with how it works and would highly recommend Bowler's product!

http://bowlertransmissions.com/p/99/...nverter-module
Attached Images