View Single Post
Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 AM   #12
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: Manifold or Headers, H or X pipe, muffler brand

I'm using Hedman Elite Hedders on the BB in my '69, and they are nice. They have thick flanges, thick tubes and are coated. I wouldn't even mess with an uncoated header, but that's my opinion. They start looking crappy pretty fast. I'm using 3" pipes, an H-pipe and Borla XR-1 mufflers. They are loud as hell at idle and are deafening at WOT. It's not my daily driver.

On the daily driven small block equipped trucks I've had, I like 40 series Flowmasters or Flowtech Terminators. I've also had headers on every daily driven truck I've had and used copper gaskets and NEVER had an issue. The only leak I've ever had was from using a paper header gasket, and that only happened once. Anyhow, both of those mufflers are loud when you get on it, but not annoying at idle or cruising - but I like loud pipes. I've used H-pipes and X pipes, to me there really isn't much difference. The H pipes are a little more boomy/more bass, the x pipe is a little more high pitched and raspy. Mufflers also have a huge effect too, personal preference I guess. I currently have an x pipe with stainless long tube headers & 2.5" duals with Flowtech Terminators on the '05 GMC in my sig - it also has no cats on it and sounds like a hotrod.

If I were you I'd do some nice coated 1 5/8" long tube headers & get some copper header gaskets. Throw away the paper gaskets that will most likely come with the headers you buy. Then true duals, and maybe an H-pipe, since to me (just my opinion!) they're easier to package under these trucks and some Flowmasters. I probably wouldn't even worry with the H pipe, as I don't know if you'll see much of a gain, but it's just cool to say you have one. I just like the way Flowmasters sound on Gen I small blocks.

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote