View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #14
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: If my truck has a temp gauge does the temp light function?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich69shortfleet View Post
If that's the case, then the temp light will never illuminate with a properly wired gauge dash since no hot wire exists on the temp light circuit. (I have gauges and a gauge dash harness.)

I'm going to see if I can find a way to wire an oil pressure warning light switch to the currently unused temp lamp. Shouldn't it be as simple as wiring a oil pressure switch to the unused pin 5?
Yes if it has a bulb in it.and you use a sender from the light cluster in the oil port. The wire was originally connected to pin 1 on the light cluster plug

Look again at the diagram. The power for the cluster comes from the pink wire that goes to pin 3 on the plug then it feeds the fuel gauge, both warning lights and the temperature gauge. It is shown as a purple wire on the diagram but of course it is really a copper strip. The ground side of the temp light is pin 5 on the plug but it is not used on the gauge cluster. It grounds through the sending unit in the left head. And it is different than the sender for the temperature gauge.

Name:  cluster connector with gauges.jpg
Views: 1987
Size:  23.3 KB

Here is the wiring for the light cluster.

Name:  idiot light connector diagram.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  48.6 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote