View Single Post
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #105
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

We'll see what Dad thinks, but the console is definitely growing on me.

Cleaned up the lower hinge pocket and sprayed with self-etch primer (I forgot this step on the other side and now I'm kicking myself )

Cowl filler fitted and welded

Any ideas how best to fix this?

It looks like the PO hit the mirror on something and pulled the nut right through the mirror support (the support is bent up just like the cowl is)
I am thinking I may cut that section out and make a patch.

Bad photo, but groove cut in the parking brake pivot from 65 years of use:

I welded it up, filed it down to the right size again, and re-drilled the cotter hole

Installed in the truck for mock-up - I had to trim the rocker a bit but I got the brace to fit and hopefully I won't need to extend anything (just some nice washers!)

Today was super warm so I finished stripping down the front clip on my stub donor:

And this shot shows why G-body is better than S10:

Both the cradle and the space at the steering box are about 3.5" wider.

From my measurements today, it looks like the radiator will *just* fit next to the steering box without clearancing. Which means I will trim it down for adequate space to move, but the cutting should be minimal.

I also took some more measures to confirm my plan - directly behind the lower A-arm rear mounts on the G-body, the frame is about 31" inside and 36" outside - which is close to the 34" width of the C10 frame the stub will go on. I'm hopeful I can just *tweak* the C10 frame out from the trailing arm cross member to give a nice, continuous look to the outer rail (since I need to make a trans crossmember and cab mounts anyway), and then I will extend the stub and box the first 6" or so of the truck frame behind the joint. The truck frame is also taller, so I should be able to make the joint look at least sort of inconspicuous by tapering it down a little.
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote