View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #109
JJorgensen52
Simple? What's simple?

Re: New project! The "Red Herring"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Had almost the identical cowl repair needed on my, here's a couple pics...Jim
I see what you mean! I'm curious now, what are you running for an antenna? I've been toying with the idea of using a late model car roof mount (one of the short ones that stick up at a 45 degree angle), or possibly the roof mounted style Buick used on their cars in the late '40s/early '50s

Okay, first I cut out the bent metal above the mirror and hammered the support back into shape:

I will still probably welded the edges of the holes up to add a little more meat so this doesn't happen again.

Then, I took a peak under the passenger's side ... something the PO evidently didn't do, since they missed the mirror mounting holes

I am not planning to cut this side out, it's not damaged like the other side, but I will probably weld the holes up and relocate them where they are supposed to be

This is a red letter day! I cut out the last of the rust I need to fix in the cab. I won't lie to you, this took every bit of my willpower to do, taking an angle grinder to the windshield frame!

On the passener's side there is a little bit of pitting at the edge that I chose not to cut out - I found I could get it clean with a wirebrush, so I will spotweld the deeper pits and grind that all down flush before I install new metal into the frames.

After this repair, it's just dents in the rear panel, relocating the steering column, and fitting the new cab corners. No sweat
'66 Impala SS convertible 327-QJet-glide (4 speed swap one of these days...) Photos
'69 CST/10 4x4 SWB Stepper 350 2bbl - NV4500/NP241C (Broken Truck!)
'72 Sierra Grande 2WD LWB fleetside 350-TH350 Refresh
'99 K2500 Silverado RCLB 5.7 Vortec - NV4500/NP241C (Daily)
'99 K2500 Suburban 7.4 Vortec - NV4500/NP246 (still working out the bugs)
SOLD
'71 Custom/10 2WD LWB fleetside - '72 GMC K/3500 Dually (Sold to redryder)
JJorgensen52 is offline   Reply With Quote