View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #53
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Wow! What is the last pic? You're gonna laugh, but my best weapon for cleaning surfaces is an old da pad, a corded electric drill, and a roll of 80 grit. Works great, fast and controllable. Sorry it wasn't cleaner, but at least he stopped. The other guy we used killed our OG hood, and warped the fenders a little. But, they were clean clean when they came back. (Oy!). Like I said, anytime you need a hand, let me know. How goes the frame? Is the motor tight?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's one of the inner fenders. I'll patch that right up using the new MIG. Funny you should mention the 80 grit DA trick. I use the 8" Big Brutha version with my polishing sander. Amazing what it will rip off in a matter of seconds.

Before Brian came up the other day, I removed the plywood bed floor which gave me a good look at the frame in the back. Someone spent some time cleaning and painting it in the recent past, so it actually looks pretty darn good. No obvious rusted out areas or tweaks. Looks like they heated the rear coils to get it to sit lower, so there may be some work to do suspension-wise. We'll see. Oddly enough, it already has a new adjustable panhard bar. Shocks are waaay shot, however.

Engine is a big question mark at this moment. It ran fine coming home, but reading the plugs followed by a compression check indicates a blown head gasket between 6 & 8. My plan is to yank the engine and trans this week while the snow is whirling outside and do a more detailed investigation.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote