View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 PM   #59
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevis1 View Post
This is seriously stretching my geometry and imagination. Gonna have to go lay down for awhile! Maybe a cold malt beverage.
Me too, Rickster. I kept looking at it and it seemed totally wrong until I put the fake door panel on it. Even though the hinge looks goofy, it swings nice and level. Wish you were here, not that I need an excuse for a cold malt beverage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Well, you've gone well past my comfort level... Looks like you're getting a good handle on it though. I'm curious how it will work out with that hinge... My brain hurts trying to follow the explanation of changing angles and how that would work. Thanks for the video, it helped a lot.
Hey, Duane, I'm usually of the opinion that I can fix most anything I screw up, but this is uncharted territory for me too. I'm trying to document it as best I can so as to encourage the other crazies lurking out there.

Since the fake door test went okay, I marked the cut lines on the hinge box and sliced all the excess off. Mocked it up to see if it all looked okay and then realized I'd forgotten to close up the back of the hinge box that faces the wheel well. Removed it and tacked on some sheetmetal and will primer and partially paint it before I weld out the front. I'll probably put an additional shield in using the front edge of the old wheel well as a splash guard, but I doubt I'll be driving it in the mud very much.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote