View Single Post
Old 07-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #141
iowaboynca

Re: "1950 GMC" -Charlotte

Alright, alright alright!!!

It's been a while since I posted but I have been tinkering, just not enough to post. (In my opinion)

So the panel...ugh...but first, BIG shoutout to MIKES50AD!!! As we left off, both front cowl panels had some serious creases in them and someone it the trucks lifetime decided to cover up with filler almost 1/2" thick in some places. So thinking how i'm going to fix this, did some research, and low and behold, there was some advice on here (of course) but there's an old article on hotrod magazine that did the exact same repair.

So lets get to it! Cut of the spot welds to get get access and pop the old panel (pic 1)

You can see bad the crease was, its the peak on the right (pic 2)

Now in pic 3 is the panel that MIKES50AD gave me. He's a real nice guy and took time out of his busy day to talk trucks with me and my nephew when i picked up the panels. I appreciate that. Well you can see it fits nice. In Pic 4, i've got the welds cleaned up.

I also have been working the upper section with the combination of a stud welder/puller and a hammer and dolly once I had the panel open. I was able to get most of the passenger side with the stud welder but i don't have a suitable pic...

I will say it was nice to get to this point. It will still need some filler to clean it up but not the almost 1/2" that was on it before. Time to check off some more items that need to be taken care of.

*edit* I did hit the exposed area with a wire wheel as deep as i could and sprayed the rest with rust treatment and let it work for a bit....didn't cover that.

Stay tuned...
Attached Images