View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 09:58 PM   #1
RyanAK

From Montana to PA... 1978 K10 Suburban

A few months ago I had decided to find a new home for ‘Earl’, my 1971 C10 Suburban. My young family spends a lot of time in the outdoors and Earl wasn’t really suited for trips in the state forest. We had been using my 2011 Z71 Tahoe, but that doesn’t have the feel of an outdoorsman’s truck. Too nice.

A few weeks back I finally found a nice 1978 4x4 in Montana. A few days after, Earl was sold to a nice local fella... so I get to see him from time to time. And last night, the ‘78 K10 Silverado Suburban finally made it’s way from Trego, Montana, to Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania. I think this truck is going to be a lot of fun for my family. My 4yo son has autism and he’s been exceptionally excited for “Silverado” to arrive from Montana from the moment I showed him a photo from the seller. He’s out of town visiting his grandparents at the moment, so the poor boy hasn’t even seen his new truck yet.

New GM crate 350, nice body, great interior. A/C doesn’t have a belt on the compressor, so need to get that sorted. Hopefully just a belt, R134 adaptors and a charge.... but nothing is ever that easy. Cruise isn’t working, and I don’t know where to even start on that... but I want it for my occasional 260-mile round-trip commutes to work. Those big towing mud flaps are gone now.

It will need tires soon. Thoughts? I’d like to go larger. These Toyos are 235/75R15. ~29”. Keeping the steelies. Will probably do shocks at the same time.

Not sure on the running boards yet. And trying to devise a strategy to deal with the minor rust scabs that won’t involve a full body/paint job.

This is a GM marketing photo from 1978. Pretty good inspiration, yeah?

Anyway, thanks for everyone that contributed to the “daily driving a square ‘burb” thread that got me here. I’ll use this topic to update

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote