View Single Post
Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 PM   #17
RyanAK

Re: From Montana to PA... 1978 K10 Suburban

A/C retrofitted and charged. 52* out the vents... pretty good considering it was 97* and 100% humidity (Raining. Ugh.) Blowing 45* once things cooled down to 84* when the sun went down. Cooled the cabin pretty well for front-only air.

Cruise... everything seemed to be there and in working order, which made me scratch my head. All wires, vacuum good everywhere, no leak at the solenoid. Was thinking maybe transducer or the dreaded switch in the turn signal lever. Then I saw it... when the crate motor was swapped in they installed a new speedo cable right from the transmission to the speedometer, skipping the transducer! I guess they couldn’t get the 2-piece speedo cable in Trego, Montana. So hopefully that will be a straightforward fix, once I motivate myself to dig into it. How’d I miss that? Anyone have part numbers for the speedo cables?

Definitely doing front hubs. Again, thanks so much for the point in that direction!

Wheels/Tires are still giving me heartburn. Ugh. No luck finding 16x7 or 16x8 6-lug steelies. WV has 6-lug OE-style 15x8s for $97 each. Shipping is probably gonna kill me, and I can’t get an E rated tire. Still, 15x8s with 32x11.50-15 BFG T/As would be a pretty big improvement. Big money, though. I could put 235/75R15 MUSA Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunners on these rims for ~$450 installed....

While I’m stewing over that... tonight I noticed a deep rumble/vibration at 45-50mph. It doesn’t happen at lower speeds and by 55mph+ it’s smoothed out again. Still does it in neutral, coasting at those speeds. There’s also a pretty good clunk when I accelerate after coasting, like the drivetrain is taking up slack when I apply power. U-joints? Been a while since I had a truck with these symptoms and I think that’s what it ended up being. Thoughts?

Again, thanks for the help. These trucks are fun, eh?

R

Meet 'Earl', '71 C10 Suburban - Sold, but not forgotten...

Meet... yet to be named, ‘78 K10 Suburban Daily Driver
RyanAK is offline   Reply With Quote