View Single Post
Old 10-31-2018, 08:14 PM   #180
cwcarpenter98

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
If you buy a used CB, you'll have to take the seller's word that it works OK. Unless you know enough about electronics that you can test it yourself. Or have an expert friend.
One thing about Transceivers and 2-Way radios, if keyed without an antenna, or one without the correct 52 Ohm load, the final transmitter stage can burn up. Does not take long to "let the blue smoke out." That takes some expert internal work to fix. The older ones were more repairable -- made for that level maintenance -- the new ones are just junk if fried.
A new rig will have a warranty and be sold by a shop who will set you up with the right coax and antenna.
Buyer beware.
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it a bunch.

I want to do it right, so I think this will be something that I need to do even more research on, and maybe hold off on for a little longer. No use in rushing to do something, just to end up doing it wrong, then having to do it again and waste time and money along the way

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote