Thread: 6 lug rotors ?
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
jocko

Re: 6 lug rotors ?

i believe as long as you get 1.25" rotors (keep in mind 1.0" are available) you should be compatible with CPP. But, if it were me, I'd just go ahead and get them from CPP - that way you KNOW what you're getting, and if problems arise - return to ONE vendor for help. If you mix/match, the vendor will always (sometimes rightfully so) blame the "combo" you bought yourself - i.e. the other vendor's part. Vendor perspective: the enthusiast's inability to mix/match the right parts is not necessarily the vendor's fault.

Folks above are correct - 6 lug in K10 only from 71 and up. 72 was first year disk brakes were standard (71 was option only - thus the "Disk Brakes" sticker on the tailgate of a 71 vice 72)

So, switiching to 71-87 ball joints, calipers, etc etc is all good and parts are more plentiful/less expensive, BUT, to retain 6 lug, you have to buy from a specialty mfgr, like CPP, ECE, GMC Paul's, etc etc. Their rotors are essentially identical to 5 lug 1.25" rotors except with 6 lugs - allowing all the other stuff to be interchangeable. But, you are essentially locked into buying aftermarket rotors for life. If you transition to 5 lug, you can go to Autozone or anywhere to get replacements - but me, I'd stick with 6 lug also and just accept the fact that I will need to rotors (only) from an aftermarket source.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote