View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #8
Davidf

Re: Factory cab assembly sequence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I don't believe there is a central repository of '67-72 photos, so this is as good a place as any to make one.

The assembly manual is a good thought, as it will show the specific components and the order they went together.

Basically the floor pan goes down first. Front of dash and cowl pieces are next. Then door rings, then rear panel and front windshield panel. Roof outer goes on last.

Those are the major components; naturally there are a bunch of smaller fillers and brackets.

Squarebody pictures will be easier to find. The pickup cab shop was highly automated by that time but the Flint Line 2 cab shop (Blazer and Suburban) was still very much a manual process and would be more similar to '67-72.

Some Flint photos here: http://www.73-87.com/7387info/Assembly%20Line.htm (pictures 5, 6, 7).

There are older truck photos and passenger car photos on the web that would give you the basic idea. I'll post those up as I come across them.

K
Reference photo #10, is that what the large plugged hole in our doors was for...rust proofing the bottom seam?
I just completed rust repair on both of my doors and they are freshly painted and re-hung. I had planned on mixing a transmission/oil/grease mix, temporarily plugging the drain holes and pouring in the mix so it seeps into the seem. Let sit, drain, protected somewhat.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote