View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 10:59 AM   #5
G-NUT

Re: Do squarebody suburbans with the power back window have a tailgate closed switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lamb View Post
If you mean a safety switch that prevents the glass from being able to be raised or lowered without the tailgate being shut the answer is yes. It plugs in behind the tailgate latch on the passenger side. At least that is where it is on my '89. For the longest time I would have to slam the tailgate several times before I could get the glass to move. Last year the tracks that hold the glass completely rusted out, I had to fabricate new ones, and I took everything apart. I found out the plug on the safety switch had cracked, hence the required slamming to get it to make contact. Since I am the sole operator of my truck, and I'm not dumb enough to try and raise the glass with the tailgate open, I cut the plug off and tied the wires together. No more slamming.
Thanks for the info. I just now read this. (2 yrs later).
Man! Its been nearly 2 years since I posted this question and that long since I've really addressed this.

I troubleshot this circuit last night using a wiring schematic pdf I found on another squarebody forum a long while back. I found the tailgate closed switch, as listed on this factory schematic. After troubleshooting the issue is here at the switch. I didn't pull the switch out so I'm not certain if its the switch or the connection at the switch. I will push on in the near future when I have time.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to find a new replacement switch just in case. Otherwise just like your statement James, I'll be wiring the wires in the connector together.

SOLD: 1985 GMC Sierra Classic 2500 3+3 Crew Cab Long Bed
G-NUT is offline   Reply With Quote