View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #8
Curt - TN

Re: 1950 Five Window Build

I made a little progress on the gas tank relocation tonight. I ended up with a Tanks Inc universal UT-N Series which will accept an in tank fuel pump.

Since I am running an early model 5.3 truck intake I had to run a fuel and return line. I decided to buy a 25 ft role of fuel line and just run it down the inside of the frame. Now I need to order the AN converter ends for the hard line.

To get the tank mounted you will notice that I moved the rear cross member back one set of lower holes. I had to plasma cut the rear inside of the cross member so I can still get the stock bumper brackets on.

To make some room for the tank you can see where I trimmed the forward lip and bent it upwards then welded it to the cross member. This gave me enough room to slide the tank under the cross member then I could drill strap holes in the center of the bracket.

For the bracket towards the front of the tank, we took two 2 inch runs of heavy flat stock and made it into an odd angle to accommodate the frame rails starting to turn upward then we had to add another strip of metal along the top for the tank to mount against.

When I mounted the tank I took some pipe insulation and wrapped it around the front mount then I found two rubber pads and put one one each side of the rear of the tank and the cross member to help insulate it form the chassis and rubbing. I also had to trim the front side of the rear cross member to make room for the tank filler tube.

Overall it was not too bad considering this is my first attempt at relocating a tank I will try to get some more detailed pictures to post soon.

1957 GMC 100
Curt - TN is offline   Reply With Quote