View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #684
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Been a long and busy weekend! I hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend!

On Friday I spent most of the day working on my bike (motorcycle, not 10 speed). Got a little time afterwards to do some small stuff on the truck. First, I fixed this alternator wire that fell and got too close to the exhaust manifold. Cut it and used a crimp butt connector to repair it.

Next, I installed the Spectre throttle bracket since the one I was using was not far back enough for the Detent Cable. And I installed the Detent Cable. I had to make the hole for the screw on the carb a little bigger, and I removed the extension piece for the Detent Cable.

So here are some stupid mistakes I made this weekend that are kind of funny in hindsight; then I'll get on to the bigger stuff I did.

1. It's a lot easier to install the Detent Cable on the carb if you attach it to the transmission first.

2. See the spring in the picture below? Yeah, I forgot to reattach it. When I started the engine on Saturday, I was wondering why the pedal was sticking. I also forgot to reinstall the 2 bolts from the old bracket on the intake manifold. Noticed it when I saw some water sitting on the manifold. (I have ordered a new throttle cable in case you wondered.)

3. Thought I was done? One more - No picture, but remember when I bought that new speedometer cable? Yeah, I need another one. I didn't secure it and it got fried on the exhaust pipe.

This weekend was A LOT of trial and error with the D/S door, rocker panel and fender. I am pretty happy with the rocker panel. I won't need to cut it or modify it much at all.

It took a while to get the door where I wanted it, but the fender was the real PITA this weekend. The real problem was where it bolts to the A pillar at the lower fender. There was no flexibility and it kept the fender way too close to the door and made it difficult to adjust.

This is where I made my holes originally.

And this is where it kinda wanted to be. I was concerned about drilling another hole especially since the area with the holes is 3 sheets of metal thick and I assume it needs the extra support.

I ended up compromising and extended the hole to make it "adjustable." I'll probably fill the original hole later.

I don't know if you can tell from this pic, but I got the door to move back just enough to make me happy with where it sits. It's subtle and the pics are from different viewpoints so it's hard to see.

These might be better - the first is from Saturday. The fender makes it hard to tell. The further back I got the door, the further back the fender wanted to go.

I did seriously think about buying an aftermarket fender. But this is the end result.

Drilled holes in the rocker panel and called it a night.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote