Thread: Clutch help!
View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 05:12 PM   #3
shifty
Questionable

Cool!

I would love to see some pictures of a rebuilt setup. The cloth washers were on the outside of the unit for me. I don't know if this is normal or not. I'de love to see it on both sides - there the Z-bar meets the Y-bar and where the Z-bar bolts to the frame.

I got part numbers also from 68OrangeSunshine here on the forum, so ... for future reference, if anyone is interested:

Quote:
P/Ns: felt washer 30-0695, spring (lock) 30-3103 (x2), seat 30-2392 (x4).
The L6 engine ball stud and bracket assembly could be refurbished, I think. If the bracket is still good, but the L6 ballstud is worn, you could drive out the crimped-in old ballstud, and drill and tap for the threaded [ but still-available] V8 engine ball stud, maybe tack welding it to the bracket or backing up the threaded part with another nut. If the "Y" bracket itself is shot, it could be duplicated out of 1/4" strap steel and the V8 ballstud (engine) p/n 32-6124, affixed in the above manner. I believe the GM dealers still stock this part OEM. I compared a surplus SBC engine ballstud unit off my Jimmy to the L6 set-up and it was the same length and diameter, except for a threaded extension that screws into a V8 block. So if you can't find an L6 engine ballstud and ["Y"] bracket assembly in a junk yard, it could be fabricated by someone who has a lot of time and some talent.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 06-22-2005 at 05:13 PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote