View Single Post
Old 08-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #659
smbrouss70

Re: Ratchet's Blazer - 1970 2wd with Original paint

Unfortunately, not much for the Blazer. I went on Hot Rod Power Tour again this year. It was supposed to be Dad in the GTO, Gringo in his truck, and me in Ratchet's Blazer. I needed to make sure 3 vehicles were ready. Right after I purchased the registrations for 3 vehicles, Dad got diagnosed with Cancer. I decided that I would leave the Blazer home and Dad and I could ride together in the GTO that he bought brand new in 1967. Then Gringo couldn't make the tour, so I focused on getting the GTO ready. Dad progressively got worse and it ended up that he couldn't make the trip even as a passenger. He wouldn't let me cancel my trip because of him though. I made the Long Haul in Dad's 67 GTO with him following me on Glympse and talking to him on the phone almost the whole way. I had the group that I was with sign Dad's Long Hauler plaque and I brought it to him before I went home. He loved it and really wished that he could have made the trip.

He wanted me to put an exact reproduction exhaust on the GTO before he passed away, so I did, while he watched. I worked all night to get it ready to take him on what would be his final ride in the GTO on Independence Day, which he thought was fitting.

Ten days later, I get a call that Dad might not make it through the night, so I drove straight past my house to get to Dad's from working in TX. He made it 5 more nights after I got there before he passed away peacefully in his own bed, surrounded by family, and most importantly, on his own terms. I owe him a lot. He is the one who nurtured my obsession with old trucks and cars, probably more than he wanted me to get. Watching him and Mom, taught me how to Love one woman with all of your heart til your dying breath. Thanks Dad, I am who I am because of your and Mom's example and guidance.

RIP Dad
7/13/43 - 7/19/22
Attached Images

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote