Thread: Restoring Rusty
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #1235
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

a little Confession

Father it has been a couple weeks since my last intake manifold swap, since then the trucks oil leak has turned into an oil water fall (all signs point to the back of the intake manifold the flat valley area where no gasket was used but RTV only [as per the now questionable intake manifold instructions], as the oil runs down the bellhousing and passed the starter, the valve cover gaskets seem ok, dry)

So no pictures but I pulled the intake off again, yes for a third time, this time I went out and bought some black RTV gasket maker and yet another FelPro gasket.

One final time I am blaming myself for a poor installation, but that will be the last time I do that. If it fails again I am tossing this Weiand intake as it is not the Weiand of the 70's and 80's this casting is crap. The two middle bolts on the passenger side are impossible to torque to spec properly as the wrench does not fit there proper by the offset to one side carb tower. It's enuff to almost make The Greg go out and get an Edelbrock Performer.

So here is the one last final plan. Use the black RTV to run the fattest widest bead that can fit on the 3/16th back wall of the block by that silly oil pressure location stub. Do the same on the front. Also add additional blobs in the bottom four corners where the heads meet the block (what a horrible / terrible design, that should be a beautiful natural curve / sweep not a sharp jagged edge, blah)

Then coat, smear that black RTV on the cylinder head walls liberally, then do the same on the walls of the intake. (Last time I think I put the orange RTV only around the water jackets, but not this time, this time is for real)

And here is the key to the entire operation.

... WAIT ~ WAIT ~ WAIT ~ then wait some more

I waited an hour for the RTV beads to set then waiting 24 hours before putting the fluids back in, last time I did not wait that long, heck I may wait a couple days.

Like someone said on this forum, they rather scrape old stuck gaskets off than have a leak! Amen to that!
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote