View Single Post
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: edelbrock 1407 rebuild or calibration questions

I don't want to make you mad, BUT you will have problems making the 1407 (750 cfm) carb streetable. Don't get me wrong, if you are racing this motor then it is applicable, but streetable (NO). You are undoubtedly suffering from a stopllight slobber and bogging when you accelerate and the fuel mileqage just outright sux. (Am I worng?) The 750 will come into it's own right at about 2500 RPM and the accleration at that time will become really good. The top end on your engine is going to be higher there than if you had a smaller carb. What you will find is that you are putting a large amount of carbon and chemical waste on your valves and not gaining anything but pain in performance. Been there and done that---My Engine builder and I worked that one out.

You have a Stock 350 motor with a set of low gears, but you are not running at 2500 RPM or greater for the most part---especially around town. You are OVER CARBED for your application, especially a heavy truck, not a hot Camaro. I would look at a smaller CFM rating and then adjust the needles and jets to what you need. The 1406 models are a 600 CFM carb and the Thunder AVS models 1806 models are a 650 CFM carb. The most stock 350s will run in this area for carburetion. I am running a 1406 on my son's 350 with a cam (3.73 gears) and I have the Thunder AVS 650 on my stroker 383 motor (3.73) gears. Both of which run quite well and have no issue with bogging. There are calcualtions that work for this or you can use Edelbrocks recommendation for their carbs. http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...pp_chart.shtml
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote