View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #111
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

I finally started working on the firewall yesterday. I needed to find some metal I could use for making patches for all the holes that had been cut or drilled over the years when I remembered an old gas tank I've had sitting around. Before everyone goes nuts about danger and fumes/fire etc, the tank has been sitting open, empty and dry for seven years or so. Any truly flammable vapors have long since evaporated.

Being confident I would not have this part of the project blow up in my face, I got the tank from "storage" and moved it up to where I could dissect it and harvest some sheet metal to make my patches from. My patched up DeWalt angle grinder, with a cutting blade, to the rescue yet again.

I cut the bottom off in one big piece, and yes, there was a little smoke when all was done, due to the old, brown varnish that had gelled in the tank long ago. No panic, no flames, no whoosh, just some smoke and good metal to be used again.

Midway through working up the patches, I found my magnets were being less than helpful holding things in place while I tried to tack them up. I figured some painter's tape would do the trick, so off to Pauls Valley for a roll of "extra hands". While I was there I ducked in to a local drive thru for a quick bite and spotted this:

Pretty cool. I hoped the owner would show up so I could get in a quick chat and some more info. No luck, and I didn't want to spook the passenger, so I continued on my mission.

Tape in hand, I got back after it. The tape holds the metal patch in place long enough to start a few tacks, then burns off. Where I am working right now, there is nothing in the way as fire as wires or other flammables, so I can get away with this technique.

I've got a few errands to run today, then more work on the firewall. With any luck, I can have it ready for a coat of primer next week.

-Joe