View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 AM   #525
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

A year ago I tried my spray gun for the first time. I sprayed Por-15 engine enamel. Got frustrated early, cleaned up the parts and declared I'd leave any spray gun business to the pros. Bet the paint was too thick. I thinned it, but probably not enough.

The enamel doesn't brush on most smooth surfaces with great success. I brushed the timing chain cover up nicely, but that's where it ended.

Today I thought to try spraying again, only this time I met their 5/1 thinning max. In my novice opinion, it could have sprayed a bit heavier. I still didn't break out the gun, used a Preval instead

I really should learn to use a spray gun. In hindsight I may sprayed all the Chevy Orange through a gun All precautions spraying this stuff. Fans, open garage, good respirator....It's bad stuff, and lingers a while.

On a side, anyone know where that J-hook goes on a 71 BBC, and what it's used for? I removed it 25 or so years ago, can't remember I know it was Chevy Orange from factory, and don't believe it was rubber coated. I can't check right now, but it looks to take a 3/8" bolt, or even a 7/16" bolt tightly. Seems it goes on a head someplace, maybe even a stud, like off a water pump or thermostat housing.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 05-03-2019 at 01:36 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote