View Single Post
Old 06-29-2015, 10:12 PM   #95
joedoh

Re: slow ride (redux)

finally bed wood time. got the "good" boards at home depot, better than knotholes I think

spent an hour on the table saw making the grooves, it would have gone a lot faster but I had 10 boards and the 3/16 wide groove took two cuts with a 1/8th blade, that is 4 cuts per 8ft board. yeesh. then a quick slice to make the face cuts, worked well on the saw 10/10 would do again and come to think of it WILL do again for the 49 bed floor. A tip, if you tackle this: build a jig that holds the board flat against the blade and against the gate, my hands are RAW from pushing down and in.

test fitting, the boards will have a polished stainless strip between them and stainless bolts to join them, and those are just scraps behind the tubs, the wood will be cut to curve around the tub like you would expect. I did two 6" boards for the center and 8" boards everywhere else, it will be vaugely reminiscent of stock appearance, but not exact.

been getting lots of interest for the truck online, lots of motorcycle trade offers which I dont care too much for. some cash offers, a guy offered me close to my minimum but its a little early to worry about selling quickly yet. He can always come back. Another guy drove in from Oklahoma and just left, he was in a work car, said he would bring his wife back next time and I think a trailer. got this offered yesterday, it was hard to say no...

the reason it was hard to say no was because I saw that car on craigslist almost 3 years ago, and it was hard to resist buying it then too. I even jonny screenshotted it and had a copy of the ad.

the guy was happy to find some history of the car, he didnt buy it from the guy in the ad, it was one or two buyers past that.

I love the whole negotiation vibe people use nowadays, like they are all Mikes or Franks or Ricks or Coreys or other history channel pawn and picking gurus. Most are Chumlees though, painfully slow and unaware. Just because you offer half doesnt mean you have entered negotiations, it just means I am polite enough to say no and stop there.

I am going to do some little stuff to it, probably get the AC going since its a gazillion degrees. fix some little fiddly stuff thats never bothered me but might bother a buyer. The guy tonight was overly worried about the sagging door hinge, really bowtie bits is in town though and it only takes an hour or so to swap out a hinge.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote