Thread: The Brown Truck
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 02:31 AM   #37
SFTorange

Re: The Brown Truck

If you saw my last post, I'd finished up the front control arms, but hadn't gotten the springs in and spindles attached. I tried to use three different coil spring compressors, but none of them would compress the spring and give me the clearance I needed to get the spring in place. Since I had no weight on the frame, it was impossible to just put a floor jack under the control arm and compress the spring to put the spindle on. I thought a lot about how I might go about getting the spring compressed, and thought maybe if I put the motor in place it would give me enough weight to offset the spring. No luck. So I finally realized that if I put a heavy duty tie down under the jack and over the frame, I'd be able to keep the frame from lifting up. Just to be safe, I used two 1500 lb capacity ratcheting tie downs, and it worked like a charm.

Now my spindles are on and I'm ready for brakes, engine, and transmission this weekend. Luckily, I rebuilt my 3/4 ton control arms with new top and bottom cross shafts and ball joints this spring. Now THAT was a job!

Interesting fact. Has anyone else noticed that 1966 C-20's use the same design lower control arm cross shaft as the '60-62 pickups? They bolt directly to the crossmember instead of using u-bolts.
The accelerator pedal is the same way. It doesn't use studs and just bolts directly into the floor like the earlier years. Does anyone know why?
Attached Images

SFTorange is offline   Reply With Quote