View Single Post
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #24
pbbelly

Re: '66 Custom Camper workhorse project

I haven't done much that has been photogenic, but I have done a lot lately. I lucked out in that the driveshaft that I pulled from the '70 C20 that was originally supposed to donate its SM465 turned out to be nearly exactly perfect for the swap. I had to cut a couple of inches out of the front shaft (which happened to be dented at that point anyway) and fashion a mount for the two bolt carrier bearing, which proved super simple and elegant (no picture of that yet). even the straps and bolts for the front yoke fit the NV4500!

I also scavenged a clutch pedal and some electrical stuff from a '61 C20 that belonged to my great uncle.

I forget how many clutches my dad put in that truck for him. I helped on a couple. Uncle Howard couldn't hear it thunder, and the 235 in the truck was very quiet (it still is, it has been in the family '53 sedan for about 13 years) and he couldn't judge how fast it was turning. His driving technique was to hold the foot-feed halfway to the floor and regulate his speed with the clutch pedal. He never got out on the road with the truck, he just used it to haul firewood and fence posts he cut from the woods where he lived. He needed a four speed to creep through the woods. First gear in the three speed just wasn't low enough. At least some pieces of Ol' Red will live on. Between the rust and Uncle Howard's tree-rubbing driving technique, the remainder of the truck is used up. The windshield looks pretty good still. There's some fogging around the edges, but if anyone needs one they are welcome to it if they want to come take it out before I haul the rest off for scrap.