View Single Post
Old 10-01-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
truckster

Re: Shipping prices are nuts.

I wanted to buy new inner fenders for my Blazer. The prices seemed reasonable, so I added them to my cart and went to the checkout. The shipping was more than the fenders! So I went to two other vendors, and it was the same. I reused my inner fenders.

I have bought a lot of parts on the internet for this build because they're either not available locally or they're really expensive. I spend a lot of time on RockAuto.com and usually they've got a fairly reasonable shipping option if they have the part available. The same part on Summit or Jegs often costs twice as much to ship. If I spend over $99 they offer free shipping on most parts, but what if I need parts totaling $95 (this actually happened yesterday)? Then I have to pay full shipping, or buy something I don't intend to buy at the time.

I find myself going to Amazon often to see if a product is available (I have a Prime account) and how the price compares. I wanted to buy a set of Hella headlights from Summit yesterday, but Summit's price for 2 was 95.20 (no free shipping) and Amazon's was $84 and change... shipping included (with the Prime account). Businesses that want to compete are going to have to come up with a better business model.