View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: '89 3/4T 'burb front-end swap to '66 C20

It's amazing how a minor thing like a near fatal event can change your priorities, and stall your progress. I've got back and knee problems and it's taken me several weeks to get half done sanding my truck for new paint, but I'm greatful I can still do it at all.

It's good to see you're again capable of moving forward. What you've done so far looks great.

For what it's worth, I also did the front suspension swap with the engine in the truck. To suspend the engine, I bolted a couple of chunks of frame rail from the donor truck, to the 1955 engine mount holes at the front of the block, and rested the other end on top of my frame. It was simple and didn't require an engine hoist to be in the way.

Also, on the POR-15, you may want to check out the following link, and the testing link within that thread that shows a salt water test comparison: http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...ht=por-15+rust

We painted my entire chassis and suspension with POR-15 about 10 years ago, and I must admit I'm disppointed with how it's held up. When I wash the crud off there are quite a few rust pits popping through. I found out about Zero Rust after I had completed the chassis, but I've been using it on everything since and I think it holds up better. My truck did see 9 years of Idaho winters and gravel roads so maybe nothing would have held up. Just something to consider.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote