View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #23
James the III

Re: Why all the hype about horse power and torque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
With today's EFI systems around a grand in price, I can't imaging spending 500+ bucks on a carb.

Just a few hundred more and you get modern FI in place of just about any carb setup ( minus the really big ones and multiple carb intakes and a few other high end applications ). With that, you can toss all your carb tuning tools and ideas and just let the on board ECU sort it out with lines of computer code. Plus, the ECU will throw trouble codes when something goes wrong like an O2 sensor, TPS, IAT, MAF etc..

Then, no matter what the weather, just turn the key and it will fire right up and idle down just like your Mom's camry.

-klb
TBI is basicly a carb with injectors stuffed (oem) on top of it, (aftermarket lately) stuffed in it..
Nothing to write home about. and was 995.00 in 1993 when I bought my first pro jection 4..
it still being 1000 for the most basic of tbi systems with big limits.. isn't what I'd call a good value.. sure the computer is better than 1993 but a 59.00 tablet is about equal to todays tbi ecu's..

I truly can't understand how it's still close to 3g's for a multi port efi today..

My issue with tbi is not that for 4 times the cost of a new summit carb..

but my issue with all efi is technology is moving so fast.. how long will you be able to get parts, if the on the unit micro ecu fries, in a year or two will you be up ___ creek?
Same issue I have with the efi with ecu and harness.. that isn't part of the efi unit..
The q-jet and holley and carter 50 years later you can get all the parts to rebuild it..
Try getting an injector for that projection 4.. or linkage parts or harness/etc.. now what if you were the guy that spent 2-4 grand on an accell efi and can't get parts..
same issue with the MSd and FAST systems.. I have zero faith in the new guys on the block being any different..
I don't even thing the new holley efi will be any better with parts avail.. down the line..
This is a HUGE issue , when you drop a 1000.00 and even more when you got 3k into it..
but ,oh look that 50,oo junkyard or swap meet carb and a 20.00 rebuild kit and 6 dollar float. and boom.. even 40-50+ years later..
I'm sure I'm not the only one that has this "issue " with the fancy electronic engine controls..
the oems gave up on tbi 20+ years ago for a reason.. reliability was a big part of that.. I have more faith in getting parts for a 30 year old g.m. tbi efi than a 3 year old fast or msd or any other.
James the III is offline   Reply With Quote