View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 01:00 PM   #24
jeffahart

Re: Why all the hype about horse power and torque?

For me it's not so much about performance as it is about the beauty of things mechanical. I debated long and hard before ditching my points for HEI. Yes, I loved dialing in the dwell... What is it about that? Oh, I guess I owned enough fords that I just love that little door to on the side of the dist to dial in the dwell.

Anyhow, it's the "E"in the EFI that keeps me away. I really dig the oil line going to the gauge and the speedo cable, and I want to keep my fuel pump. I like the mechanical nature of these old trucks.

I'm accustomed to the Q jets over the years, but I could see how one would want the easy way out if it's not purring. Or if performance is the only factor then you need to modernize quite a bit. And being all things electronic that can be dialed in with software diagnostics, that's tempting too I will have to admit.

But I also think if you have trouble getting the truck running with a Q jet, you will be struggling in other areas. Just due to a lack of experience. But you need to start somewhere! So get the Q jet and learn to tune your truck... and enjoy driving a nice running old truck.