View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 AM   #336
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Tank Install 2 ½

I’m converting the tank to side fill, I bought this 2” aluminium tube from a local store that does tuning parts, mainly for German imports and rice rockets, it has a really small dent so I got it for £5.

Name:  Tank tube.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  26.0 KB

The plan is to run through the tube through right-hand chassis rail and I’ll put a filler somewhere in the rear fender.

Name:  Tank tube 2.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  89.3 KB

Marked the hole position on the side of the gas tank (measure twice cut one) and cut with a 2” hole saw.

Name:  Tank tube 3.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  46.0 KB

The swage on the tube creates a great positive location. The tube a quite long so my plan is the fit three gussets for support it (better safe than sorry) seen here at the carboard template stage.

Name:  Tank tube and hole.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  43.2 KB

Name:  tank tube brace.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  36.5 KB

Joining the tube to the tank is going to be breaking new ground for me. Firstly, the tank is T6061 which should really be heat treated after welding to prevent cracking etc and secondly, I don’t have access to a TIG welder anymore. I rang Henkel chemicals helpline (they used to supply paints, adhesives and sealers to Nissan and Rolls Royce when I worked there) and spoke to a really helpful bloke called Mike. He recommended 3 options, I am going to used Loctite 3450 mainly because of its resistance to petrol (sorry) gasoline. On the test data after 5000hours of exposure to gasoline it still retained over 90% of its original strength. I have some on order, I’ll let you know how I get on!!