View Single Post
Old 11-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #31
Black93GT

Re: 1949 Chevy 3600 Tow Truck

For the foot controls, I used a set from a gen4 Camaro and the donor S10. I needed to add some length so I could raise the mounting of the S10 booster and keep the pads of the pedals at a reasonable height. Additionally I wanted them to go around the steering column and sit where the original pedals were.

I couldn’t use the S10 clutch master cylinder so I picked up one from Wilwood. It was reasonably inexpensive but I needed to come up with mounting and linkage to the pedal.

Using the distance of the piston throw and pedal throw based on the brake pedal, I calculated the point on the lever I needed to attach the linkage. Then going 90 degrees to that and the pedal pivot at mid travel gave me the angle to mount the master.

Now for mounting it.
I split the difference between that line and where it would be with the pedal to the floor for my mounting elevation. I found this to be too close to the brake booster so I created some support on the pedal to allow the linkage to connect further outboard. I had to accept this will cause a rotational Force on the pedal and wear the pivot bushings more quickly.

Most importantly the go fast pedal!! Well... second most important.
I was dead set on using the original gas pedal. Obviously I would not have the original linkage rod to push down so I put on the thinking cap. I devised a plan to have a rod stick through the firewall and pull a cable.

Video to help visualize.
https://i.imgur.com/6HKuPk3.mp4

Last edited by Black93GT; 11-24-2020 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Added picture
Black93GT is offline   Reply With Quote