View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 03:34 PM   #31
kipps

Re: Upgrade to 5 speed manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
I got a response to my email from Advance Adapters. The information they gave me is that it is not a simple swap. Here are the links they provided me...
They're assuming you will keep the mechanical clutch linkage. That's why they're pushing their adapter bellhousings, since that's the only way to use a mechanical linkage on a nv4500. I'd suggest the following method instead.

Go junkyard diving for a complete pedal setup from a manual trans 85-87 truck. These pedals are intended to work with a clutch master cylinder. Price will vary between $50 and $200 depending on whether it's a backwoods junkyard or if you get it from Ebay. This will include the brake and clutch pedals, the complete pedal "bucket" assembly that holds it all together, and the two braces that go to the firewall to support the clutch master cylinder.

Buy a new 85-87 master to use with the above setup. This master can be adapted to work with either a stock 92-95 nv4500 external slave or a 96-07 nv4500 internal slave. I have more info about the adapters needed if necessary, but they are relatively inexpensive. It should cost less than $100 to connect the 85-87 master to either of the nv4500 slaves.

Buy a complete 2wd nv4500, including the stock bellhousing. It will bolt up to any GM engine. The choice of flywheels and clutches will vary depending on what engine is involved.

Yes, there will be floor modifications needed. For a 2wd it won't be much of an issue, though. The shifter will come through the floor about three inches rearward of where the stock sm465 shifter is, assuming you're leaving the engine in the same location. It's all relatively flat metal, so it's easy enough to just pop-rivet a sheet of metal across the old shift opening, and slice open a new hole.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote