View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:49 AM   #10
Arad68
Trucks N Tranzams

Re: '99 S-10 Blazer 4.3 removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15 View Post
he means a flex-head ratcheting wrench ie. Gear Wrench.
I use a regular box wrench to loosen it then grab a sandwich and a snickers bar so I have something to do with my right hand while I spend the next 1/2 hour with the stubby wrench the rest of the way.
for the fuel line retainer I use a 1/4" flex ratchet and a short 9/16" socket. you may want to wear a glove or wrap your hand in a shop rag. the steering shaft and shift linkage are NOT friendly.
don't forget the 3 ground bolts (2 on pass. head and 1 on drivers head).
while I have the engine out I take a hammer and bend the firewall-toe board lip BACK so I have room for a swivel chrome socket upon assembly.
you do know you WILL need a scan tool (not just a code reader) for setting the cam retard after starting it.

Damien, these do not have a quick coupler for the heater hoses. thankfully.

if you need advice "on the run" so to speak PM me for my cell #. I have done so many of these I can just about do them blindfolded. for some strange reason people don't heed my advice about replacing the leaking oil cooler lines.
that reminds me.
REPLACE THOSE OIL COOLER LINES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: also replace the motor mounts and install the engine cooler lines on before you stuff the motor in. leave the shipping cap on the oil filter end until you hook them up.
How hard is it to change the oil cooler lines with the engine in. Mine are leaking. (2002 S10 4.3)

'68 Chevy LB 383 TH400/GV/373 posi
'56 Chevy 4WD SWB
'64 Chevy short stepside
'79 Trans Am 455/TH2004R/12blt/4whldisc
95 Kia (Wifes car)
2002 S-10 extended cab pickup
"God punishes small sins immediately"
Arad68 is offline   Reply With Quote