View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #1274
Ozzy2013

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywurm View Post
I pulled a tired l6 and put a 72 350 in my 71 long bed this weekend... What a chore for a first time swapper to do alone. May rebuild the l6 or may sell it. Haven't decided yet.

Pulled the old motor Friday night. I didn't have the parking brake on so the truck rolled back a little and turned the transmission a bit. I'm pretty sure the only thing that stopped it from rolling further was the transmission dip stick. Oops...

Saturday I replace the transmission mount and use my police crown vic to push the truck up the driveway to turn the transmission back. Got it pretty straight. Jacked up the tranny so it was level. And lastly put the old motor on a second engine stand so I could use the hoist. The wife had other things for me to do so that was about it for today.

Today I got the motor in place and on the new motor mounts. Was getting late and have calculus homework so had to call it quits.

At this point, I need to figure out how to get the last half inch between the engine and tranny cleared and get the transmission all the way turned right. Probably about 3/4" off. Any tips would be appreciated.
Make sure your converter didn't move spin it and make sure its all the way back .You can use some longer bolts temporary and gently pull the trans into place just make sure you don't have too much resistance .If need be take the trans mount loose and wiggle it man!ha ha good luck.