View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #9
joedoh

Re: 1956 Chevy 3600 “9 Years or Less”

the plate looks to be there in your picture?

your truck is still all together so before you take anything apart just schedule with the texas DMV to have a new VIN assigned. tell them you will absolutely keep it stock and you plan to title it immediately, in case they want to give you a non-highway (means needs reinspected after completing) registration. if the number is on that blue plate in the door jamb you are goldenrod.

I dont think the vin is on the frame till the 60s, but I may be wrong. most times the trucks were titled on the ENGINE number, which could have been changed so defintely take care of this while its still complete and original. taking care of it after doing all the swapping is a nice way to have a 2019 (or 2028) titled truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
For the time being I am planning to keep the stock running gear. Maybe the first thing I drop after the truck is “done”, but for now I plan to keep it. I’ve always had a thing for HD trucks so I like it. If I was gonna swap running gear I would probably want to go 4wd anyway so I don’t think I would improve the ride much.

at least switch to 1/2 ton axles and springs, the 8 lug is 3/4 or 1 ton, the rear axle will probably be 5.14 or higher ratio, and the springs will ride like square wheels without any weight on them. its not like modern 3/4 tons that still ride ok, those were purpose built, 45mph top speed (with a 1:1 4th gear), ride like a buckboard empty REAL truck.

not telling you how to do it, just info if you hadnt thought of it. for yuks and giggles, just count that rear spring pack. you could probably take out SIX OR SEVEN leafs.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 09-13-2019 at 11:27 PM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote