View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
joedoh

Re: 1956 Chevy 3600 “9 Years or Less”

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManAndrew View Post
AFAIK it would be difficult to impossible to get a new vin for this thing without being able to prove its original VIN. Really hoping I can just find it somewhere else on the truck.

i dont think that is true, looking into it briefly turned up texas document VTR-68-A https://content.govdelivery.com/atta...8-A_SAMPLE.pdf

this may be new to you but they have seen it before no doubt, in the "important" section it says that if the original VIN can not be determined a new one will be assigned. and the "vehicle theft investigator" they refer to is usually a state trooper, or at least it is in kansas.

I am familiar (now that you show it) with those type of VIN plates, they used them through the 60-66 models (which did have a frame VIN on the left front rail) and for a lot of years they just fell off because they were spot welded (poorly) in little dimples on the plate, I think in 64 they started riveting them. you can mention that to the DMV too, that the spot welds sometimes failed even under the BEST circumstances, but they are probably familiar with that detail too.

make sure you take your chain of ownership, and any proof you have of how long it sat. here in kansas trucks are sold on bills of sale when they havent been registered in a long time, and even if you have an old title they tell you not to bring it because after 20-25 years they drop registrations and an old title is just a historical document. be honest, dont answer anything you dont know, they have done it before and you can get a new VIN assigned on an old rusty pile of parts a lot easier than a 2003 ford focus.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote