View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 01:38 AM   #1
Maximus

My 1928 Ford Tudor Street Rod w/ Chevy Drivetrain

Hello Everyone.

I have been destraced from my '55 and my '72 with a lifelong dream of a 28 Tudor, so I figured this would be a good place to document my new build, give some people some ideas on their projects as well as ask for tips along the way.
I hope you all enjoy the slow process here in which i hope to document the build of my 1928 Model A Tudor Sedan.
The short history: I am 29 years old, and have been trying to buy this vehicle for 8 years. My uncle has owned it since the early/mid 70's when he had a full custom frame built and got caught up in life and parked it. Since retiring he recently purchased a 100% complete all steel 28 roadster and after a few years into enjoying that vehicle I was able to pull this one away from him. It bleeds 70's with quarter-elliptical rear suspension hanging onto a 55-57 Chevy rear housing held square by a 4-bar rear suspension, a custom front tube axle with a single leaf and 4-bar setup holding onto a set of 52 Chevy hubs, a 67 mustang steering box to connect the steering, a small block Chevy in the engine bay and a solid body with fading baby-blue paint. It even has the 70's Blue California plates that I am battling with the DMV to keep. This will be a slow build, its one of 7 classic projects I have and I have plenty of life-distractions, however whenever I get a chance I will continue to plug away on this project.
My plan:
the old mantra of K.I.S.S. or keep it simple, stupid

The 4-bolt main 350 is seized from water damaged from a leaky roof 20 years ago, so ill build that later for another project, in the mean time I have a full drivetrain out of a 90 Firebird, so its light enough to happily enjoy the 305 TBI motor and 700R4 trans, was originally going to keep the TBI, but to keep things simple (for lack of a good place for a fuel tank) I will probably just slap a carb on top and use some saddle tanks. Will reuse as many parts as I already have laying around so to keep the budget low. (its hard to dump money into one car when u have a ton of projects) I have purchased a steel recessed firewall, gas tank delete cover (don't wanna hack up the decent 85yr old tank), cowl face panel to finish off the gas tank removal, '32 style dash and classic white back autometer gauges, a '32 grill and take the beautiful styling front end sheet metal from the iconic '32. (I dont care if the '32 look has been over-done, its popular because it looks both aggressive and smart!)

Here are some photos of it coming out of its home of 40 years waiting for some attention.
More to come, enjoy the photos.

Where it sat for about 40 years:

On the Trailer ready to come home

Got it home

Here is a list of parts ive put together so far.
Cowl top, firewall recess and firewall top filler:

Full floor pans (trying to keep the wood to a minimum...):

32' style dash panel and autometer gauges including matching tach:

Gauges part # 1601

Tach part # 1695

Late model finned valve covers and a finned air cleaner to cover the TBI centerbolt heads:

After recieving the new hood top from Hagens (molded with the lines for a 32 grill up front and 28-29 cowl lines in back) I hit the whole exterior in black primer. lovin' it!

That's it for now...
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote