View Single Post
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 AM   #383
cornerstone

Re: My 1970 GMC Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
I'm hoping that someone who has installed vintage air might be able to chime in on this. Im still trying to figure out how I can mount the unit as clean as possible but I can't afford the unit as of yet. I would like to have the fasteners hidden from the engine bay to stick with my clean firewall theme. So my question is, if I were to weld in two vertical channels on the inner firewall that were just wider that the overall unit, would I then be able to build a mounting plate that I could bolt to the unit, and then to the channels? Im fairly sure that it would work, my only concern is that I would be then mounting the unit, Im guessing around 3/4" further into the cab. Does anyone know if this would work? Thanks in advance for any help on this.
I can't give a direct answer, but I'll be glad to try to help you figure it out. I want the same look, I mean we went through the work of getting the wall clean and it just feels wrong to have to have the head of a bolt mess it up. Currently I have the VA unit hanging on the the inside firewall. It's not bolted in yet, but held in place by the aluminum lines that attach to the unit. My thought was to get the evaporator in it's proper place, and make marks on the firewall where threaded mounting studs could be welded. It is a very tight fit just to get it up there, and will be even harder to get enough clearance to fit the unit on the studs, but where there is a will there is a way. I'll try to get some decent pics up so we can solve the problem.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote