View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 08:01 AM   #42
special-K
Special Order

Re: Dog dish hubcaps

I have always run factory hubcaps. I have also run the few custom wheels that were made for trucks back then as well. But my first one of these trucks was a '72 C/10 I bought in '73. It was a Highlander, which I had no idea about back then. All I knew was I didn't want those wheelcovers. I probably thought they weren't original. They have nothing that even says Chevrolet or bowtie on them. I didn't put original caps on when I bought 8" & 10" wheels. I used '55 Chevy car hubcaps because I thought they looked cool. In the 80/90s when the National Chevy/GMC Truck Association was in existence, I had a running WTB ad in their publication for K/20 hubcaps. They were harder to find back then than they are now. When I bought the '72 K/20 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper I had in '91 the first thing I did is put powder coated 16.5 x 9.75 wheels on with hubcaps. It cost me way more than putting a set of alloy wheels on, but that was the look I wanted.

I don't think producing hubcaps again would be cost prohibitive. They would sell plenty enough to offset the tooling costs. The wheels are being made and this is the popular look. They'd sell plenty. Most purchases would be for four, unlike most all reproduced parts. They tooled up to make glovebox doors when virtually all glovebox doors survived. No shortage of used GB doors and they are cheap to by, yet someone tooled up for those. Same goes for many parts, such as cowl covers. I've never bought a truck that needed a cowl cover or glovebox door. When you consider how much prime hubcaps go for I think someone would be wise to reproduced these. Let's not forget about all the people who have dogs as well

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote