View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #14
forestb

Re: upper steering column bearing

So I dug back into my steering column and installed a 1/8” plastic spacer in between the steering wheel and the little plastic turn signal canceling cam. I was able to cut it out of plexiglass at work. Doing this allowed me to tighten up the column at the bottom of the shaft which tightened up the plastic cam against the bushing. When I had tried this in the past my after market wheel would jamb up against the part of the column that the turn signal switch comes out of. Doing this stopped the play and the squeak. I think that the problem was caused by the after market wheel not having the proper clearance. I also noticed that some of the bolt that hold the column to the under dash bracket were not tightened down all the way causing a different squeak. I am pleased with the results and probably will not end up getting an additional bearing. If any one is interested I measured what the ID and OD would need to be with a pair of calipers. The ID which is the same as the diameter of the column is .7465” and the OD is .9970”. It would not go inside the outside tube but rather inside an inner tube.

Last edited by forestb; 02-13-2021 at 06:23 PM.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote