View Single Post
Old 10-27-2020, 04:12 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Fastest car you've ever been in?

I'm nowhere near a racecar driver, never was, but I did some stupid things as a kid, such as 145 MPH-ish (buried speedometer) in my RX2 on many occasions. Wasn't long before I did a 180 on a dirt road, thankfully at a much slower speed, "avoiding a coyote"

Soon after my former step-dad loaned me his 1/2 ton ford with a beefed up 428 his brother built, "knowing I'd wreck that too". I drove that for maybe a month before I did another 180 racing a 455 GTO, which started a few lengths ahead. I was on his tail to pass, the truck was a real bad*&%. But he panicked & locked up his brakes, losing control and that GTO took up the entire road. That's an image & audio I'll never forget. I'm doing 80 @ minimum, pedal to the metal, but I took the field option on the left, up an embankment. Nearly had it too but the front tire blew, forcing the truck back into the road, the wheel sliced through the road, and my stepdad's truck was on the front page of the newspaper.

No injuries less a sore thumb, at least until the cowboy came home. I figure I had that one a-comin Two 180s in three months, no accidents since. Decades later he told me he was surprised I was still alive. Today I'm 70 MPH guy, everyone else is nuts Other than that I've driven a 440 Charger. 403 Trans Am was alright.

Look at this set-up. I've never sat in anything remotely close this kind of power - wouldn't know what to do with it if I did. https://www.facebook.com/pistontribu...5139906924735/
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 10-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote