View Single Post
Old 01-20-2023, 05:50 PM   #220
59chev

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Unlike previous winters where I had a long list of tasks to complete to achieve my goal of getting my truck back on the road, this winter I get to focus on small projects and refinements.

I am running an original 59 Impala steering wheel. Over it's lifetime it looks like it has been re-painted at least twice. Looks like it was originally a metallic blue, then teal, then red/orange. Since the orange paint was half chipped off I figured I couldn't hurt it to attempt to remove the remainder of it. To my surprise the teal paint underneath was actually in good shape and shiny. I was able to chip off the majority of the orange paint using a plastic scraper, followed by careful wet sanding with 600 grit. Then I waxed it and cleaned the horn trim ring with chrome polish. I'm extremely happy with this project as it only cost me time.

An added benefit is the wheel matches the original color of the truck, which is starting to show through the primer on the hood. I'm considering covering the primer with a satin clear to at least preserve it until I can get it painted sometime far into the future.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote