View Single Post
Old 12-24-2019, 12:05 AM   #181
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

Well back to old truck.. I have an enormously cheap ($16) Pyle radio with a remote, Having it installed in glove box has been somewhat a problem. Keeping the glove box open to use the remote negates its purpose and poses a safety issue as does operating the radio manually. Leaving it open either with or without a passenger is not good idea either. I researched and found very little.. Asked a radio shop and they suggested an IR relay. Found one on net. And IT WORKS!!!. Heres the relay: Cable Matters Infrared Remote Extender Cable, IR Repeater Cable - 10 Feet

Per Pics (and lack of $) I put the receiver on the dash below windshield . Hung transmitter on small L in front of radios built in receiver and ran power to a aux cigarette lighter receptacle and a .99 store USB plug with an led power light. They have better stuff but I used what I had in keeping with rest of truck. I tried the remote in my cheapy cell phone holder and it WORKS! So a 16 buck radio, 10 buck relay and a .99 cent USB plug = a $27 solution. The usb led acts as a --wait for it -- a cheapy courtesy light!!
Attached Images

vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote