View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
msg

Re: AC on a 66 later in the build questions

Thanks Dave! Ive got a few questions for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
The sure fit kit comes with its own blower motor and glove box liner
Does the blower motor in that kit work as the regular vent and heater blower when the AC isnt on, or do I need the regular non AC blower motor as well?

Quote:
as well as rotary controls. VA offers an optional conversion for the deluxe controls to convert them from cables to the needed electrical circuitry that runs the servos.
Did you use the rotary dials that came with it? I was planning to connect to the deluxe heater controls that Im restoring and didnt know how tricky that might be.

Quote:
Mainly, I found the extras I had to buy were pulleys, belts, and a beefier radiator and fan.
Did you buy all that from VA as well as part of the kit, or get those elsewhere?

Quote:
Also be aware that your weatherstriping, window welts, floor insulation and firewall grommets need to be tight to keep the cool in and heat out.
So far I have nothing at all in the interior but the next step in the restoration was to use some sound deadener and carpet it. I need to look into the firewall mat and jute padding for the floor under the carpet as well. I dont know if its overkill with sound deadener or not, or even if the carpet can mount very well on top of jute and sound deadener. The door weather stripping I wanted to use was that push on style that Ive read good things about on the install vs the adhesive style. I hope it seals as well. Ill be buying all new grommets so I hope the aftermarket produces tight seals.

Quote:
I still would like it a tad cooler. Although I'm probably spoiled by modern cars.
Since the the only insulation I will have is on the floor and inside the doors I am pretty sure in GA when it reaches the mid 90s I will be underwhelmed with the cool factor. The metal roof and back wall of the cab with that sun roasting it will be asking too much of an AC I would think. I was hoping though that since its a smaller area to cool than say an SUV interior Ill stay pretty cool. It will be better than without.