View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
LynnJr

Re: 98 gmc carb swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
I'm having trouble understanding why you're cobbling this together instead of correcting the wiring problems you have??? Ask the old farts around how much they enjoyed figuring out carb and ignition problems back in the day. By the time it's all over, you'll spend waay more with controllers, etc. that you would correcting what's there and you'll lose the benefits of a computer controlled drivetrain.

All the harness I find are cut up and $250 And I have to try to make them work for.

If you can't get a complete harness and computer run and run fast.It will soon become the biggest headache in your life.
Yes you can leave the pump in the tank and simply add an inline electric.I have a friend who does it all the time.Myself I would remove it but it does work.
I have the push button and toggle in my Jeep and a blown chevy stepside and they both work flawlessly.

I am one of the old farts posted about earlier and will answer BigBlocksRule comment.
Today a HEI ready to go runs $39 on E-Bay.You can buy 3 of them for the price of a single ignition module and leave them in the box behind the seat.
A Holley 600 carburetor runs $300 to your door or the same price he will pay for a MAF sensor.
He can buy 3 Holley 600's and keep two brand new ones in the garage for the price of one fuel injection unit.The first time his carburetor hints at giving him a problem he can toss it in the garbage and install a brand new one while your shopping for a OBDII meter to read all of your error codes and he still has not spent a dime of extra money.
I like the computer controlled trucks as much as the next guy but once they start having problems and need diagnosing they become life-long projects that never again seem to run right and an endless money pit.
I would rather toss a carburetor in the garbage every 4 years than spend the time on a message board begging for help from those that don't have a clue and I am saving money.
LynnJr is offline   Reply With Quote