View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #244
bamachem

Re: What did you do to your Blazer/Jimmy today?

Over the last 4 weeks I've built a custom Center Console and Custom rear side consoles with all new speakers. Used some parchment/off white vinyl to wrap everything to match. (4) Polk Audio 6.5" mids with (2) Polk Audio 10" subs running on a Polk 4ch amp.

The console has (2) 12V plug recepticals and a USB charger receptical. The lid is on soft-close drawer slides so no hinges. It has a boat/marine locker latch on the back that can be locked with a key for security. Overall I'm very pleased with how everything turned out considering it was my first time doing upolstery myself and it's been quite a while since I've done any speaker boxes, etc.

Pulled the Block Numbers today. Matching original motor. It's a Flint Engine, Built Aug 10, 175HP 350, and belongs in a 1972 K10/K20 Pickup. Good to know. Looks like it's never been torn into either, so that's the unknown. May do a tear down and rebuild over the winter. It's running good, and has decent power so I'm hesitant. Problem is that as an engineer I know that 42-years and counting on original parts means that they most likely have some pretty good wear. Not sure if I tear into it and gain confidence on condition or just drive it while it's running good and not worry about it.

Today, I stopped by the parts house to get the correct starter bolts with the knurling on them. The previous owner installed a starter with the wrong bolts (tiny diameter compared to the holes in the starter. When it went out recently I changed it with a remanufactured starter and there's a LOT of slop on the bolt/hole interface allow the starter to move around. It doesn't like to move around - at all. Sounds horrible. Should be a $5 fix. We'll see...

Picked up an Edelbrock 14"X3" air filter set to swap out the old 2" one from the early 80's that was on it. Gained some decent responsiveness, surprisingly.

Last edited by bamachem; 04-20-2015 at 02:47 PM.
bamachem is offline   Reply With Quote