View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
BigRandy

Re: What Camshaft For A Stock 1974 350?

GM # 3863151 should be a direct swap.

A friend of mine was a mechanic at a Chevy dealer years ago and put one in his 74 truck with 373's in the rear. Said it was the cam GM used in the 350Horse\327 Corvette so I thought I would try one. I bought mine from the GM parts counter and installed it at 30K with no other modifications other than headers. Our engines were stock but his had a rougher idle than mine. This was a long time ago and he may have had a street intake. I don't remember exactly because he rebuilt that motor so many times I forget what it had and when, but I know he started with the 3863151 GM and headers.

It's an old grind and there are probably others available that can do better. Times change and gas isn't what it was then so I don't know how that cam would do today. I do remember it wasn't a torque monster but it added power. It also liked to rev so it may not be exactly what you want. The idle was slightly noticeable in mine but I had no trouble with the stock converter or vacuum devices. I had 308 gears and that truck would have flown if it had wings. I don't remember any real change in MPG as long as I kept my foot out of it.

If you haven't considered a B&M shift kit (the cheap one) I recommend it. I had one and the shifts were positive but not harsh under normal driving. However, they were solid as a rock under hard acceleration. Sold the truck with 180K miles and never did anything other than routine maintenance.

Last edited by BigRandy; 01-24-2018 at 09:43 PM.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote