Thread: 700R4 ?'s
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2002, 11:20 PM   #9
72burb

Lucas, I installed a 700-r4 in my 72 burb.
I have a 307 rear (posi). And a very strong motor. (KB forged pistons, speed pro cam and bearings, World product heads, edelbrock intake and carter 625cfm carb, Thorley headers.) I had to shorten my driveshaft 3in. and went with a one piece. STICK WITH THE TWO PIECE. I have a vibration @ high speed because you can't push the engine/trans. up high enough to match the rear pinion 3 1/2 degrees. Install a heavy duty carrier bearing and you should be fine.
My gas mileage doesn't increase much unless I drive 85 or 90 miles an hour which will get you a ticket REAL fast.(gear ratio to high) I like the trans because----It saves my motor, (RPM's) and you get the lower first gear which helps on take off's. With a lower gear ratio, say 373's, you can really make some tracks.
I bought mine from Bowtie Overdrives for around 1600 and the driveshaft will cost about 200 depending on where you live.
I hope this helps e-mail if you have questions.
-DOUG
ps. In the kit they include a kugle arm that allows you to use you stock shifter. And they do recommend a temp gauge.( I had to add a trans cooler to keep the horses from overheating the trans.)

------------------
72 burb,all the go fast goodies. (lowered)
72cst fact.air Blazer w/factory "flames"
86 burb 'monster truck'

At 7350', everything runs like a 4 cylinder.
PAGOSA SPRINGS CO.

[This message has been edited by 72burb (edited May 16, 2002).]
2001 Ram 3/4 ton w/24v cummins
At 7350', everything runs like a 4 cylinder.(except the 92 Burb)
PAGOSA SPRINGS CO.
72burb is offline   Reply With Quote