Thread: Vortec Advice
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #1
truckster

Vortec Advice

So, I'm finally getting around to cleaning up the Vortec engine I talked about in an earlier post:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=712797

As I'm cleaning it up, I notice oil had been leaking from the fuel pump block-off plate. So I pull off the plate, and sure enough, the fuel pump passage is drilled through. I started thinking that maybe I'd be able to run a mechanical fuel pump (it's going to be carbed) rather than electric with pressure regulator and relays, etc. Unfortunately, the cam doesn't appear to have a fuel pump lobe (I put a rod in the passage and turned the crank by hand). So here's my conundrum: Do I put a cam that has a fuel pump lobe in it, something like the Ramjet 350, and simplify the fuel delivery, or just keep it as is and run the electric pump (I already have the pump, regulator, and relays, but I can always sell them or use them on other projects)?

The engine is going into a 72 Blazer 4WD and will be equipped with a Quadrajet, factory HEI with mellonized gear, and 2½ inch ram's horn manifolds. It will be a daily driver and I don't intend to race it, but I do enjoy quick acceleration (my other car is a 95 Z28 convertible). I would sacrifice a little performance for better fuel economy.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote