View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
scootermcrad

Re: Suburban Project Discussion - 4WD Family Truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde65 View Post
Why a 4l60e and not a 700r4? You will need a controller for it.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is an AWESOME question, actually. I've been researching the crap out of this over the weekend and looking at everything that has to be done to run the 4L60E, I think it will be completely out of scope for the project, now. I also like the idea of keeping the whole thing as mechanical as possible so at least if something happens out on the road I can work on it.

I've always read mixed reviews on 700r4's. Seems people either love them or hate them. I would like to believe that with a proper rebuild from someone that knows what they're doing, a later 700r4 or standard (non-electronically controlled) 4L60 would be a good candidate as long as everything is done and the TV cable is set up correctly. Then marry the NP205 to the tail using Advanced Adapters kit or whatever the clever adapter is. I'm still reading, though.

With the vehicle seeing more highway miles and commute miles than off road miles, I feel like an overdrive transmission makes the most sense. Towing will be very infrequent and I don't see ever pulling loads over 8000 pounds (large vehicle on a trailer), but even that is a guess and probably unlikely. So it seems a later 700r4 would be a good candidate unless I decide I'm going to start a business in uprooting 100 year old oak tree stumps with this thing.

Keep the input coming. Thank you!!!